Saturday, October 29, 2011

You want me to make what?

So Boogie Boo decides he wants to be Gohan of Dragonball Z Kai for Halloween. I think to myself - Wow, how did I get so lucky? This is going to be easy peasy. I mean, how hard can it be? It's just a top and pants. Plus, Halloween was a whole 5 weeks away. I would have plenty of time to figure this out. Until he dropped the bomb that he wanted to wear it to Disney's Not So Scary Halloween Party in Orlando as well. That trip was only 1 week away. And for someone that hasn't sewn clothing since high school, I wasn't feeling so lucky anymore.

The first thing I did was search online for a Gohan costume tutorial or something similar to it. As you may suspect, I found very little. Plan B was to go to Joann's and find a pattern I can use to make the costume. I struck out on that as well. So what did I do once I realized this was not going to be as easy peasy as I thought it was going to be? I called my sewing sensai Silvia. And as always, she knew exactly what to do. My instructions were to go to her house with the fabric and one of Cookie's t-shirts. I rushed over there like no ones business with materials in hand. In no time at all, she made a pattern using Cook's shirt, making adjustments in order to have the swooping, v neck look you see in the picture. I really wish I had taken pictures of her at work. It really was something special to see.

So now it was back in my hands. Together we decided what I needed to do to get the effect needed but I was the one to do the actual sewing. With only a few days until we were off to Disney Worlds Fort Wilderness (we were camping with the cub scouts as well), I had to get busy. And busy I got! There was lots of sewing, lots of fittings and unfortunately lots of one on one time with my beloved seam ripper. But to my pleasant surprise, I finished it the night before we were to leave for Disney. WOW...What a great feeling that was! Was it perfect? Absolutely NOT, but my little man LOVED it and said it was the best costume EVER! That was more than enough to help me look past the flaws I saw and be content with the fact that my son was happy.

Now if only I could figure out how to post more than one picture and put it where I want it. Jeanne, H.E.L.P!

Maddy =)


No comments:

Post a Comment